The Moated Manor House
Very little remains today of the moated manor house apart from some brick footings which have enabled some of the ground plan to be traced.
It was built early in the Walsingham years. It seems to have been a large brick and timber building, possibly something like Ightham Mote, although no drawings or plans of it survive.
A 1727 inventory names some of the rooms and parts of the house. It includes a Great Gate, Great and Little Brown parlours, Great Hall, kitchens, pantries and cellars. There were eight principal bedrooms, one described as Queen Elizabeth's Room above the Great Parlour. With dressing rooms, closets, a brewery, dairy and gardens also listed it must have been an impressive building. The corbels of the drawbridge can still be seen.
The manor house was finally demolished in the mid 18th century, possibly because it had become unsafe. According to volume II of Hasted's Kent of 1797, 'the ancient mansion of Scadbury has been many years in ruins, and there remains now only a farm house, built out of part of them'. A track leading from the drawbridge through the remains of a Tudor archway (the centre of which collapsed about 1980) has been excavated by Orpington and District Archaeological Society, who have been carrying out an excavation of the site for a number of years.
Some brick columns standing on the island date from the 1930s, when the then Lord of the Manor, Hugh Marsham-Townshend, carried out some excavations and reconstruction. The only complete structure on the island today is the early 20th century building once used as an apple store.
For more information about the site, visit the ODAS website here...